Capcom updated their platinum titles section, which among other things includes Resident Evil VII sales numbers. And according to their latest update, RE VII passed the 10 million mark. This means that the game became the second Capcom title to sell more than 10 million copies. While Monster Hunter World is still the first.
While Resident Evil VII was quite controversial among hardcore fans of the IP, the strong sales numbers just prove that Capcom was right to switch to the first-person perspective. And the game still sells like hotcakes. Capcom reports that it sold 400k copies this last quarter.
This is bewildering considering that Resident Evil Village sold 300k copies. Similarly, Resident Evil 2 Remake also sold 300k copies. The newer entries into the franchise just cannot catch up to the 2017 smash hit.
Resident Evil VII sales could influence the direction of entire Resident Evil franchise
Here is the full list of total sales for Resident Evil games. Copies sold this quarter only are in brackets:
- Resident Evil VII – 10.2 Million Lifetime Sales (+400k this quarter only)
- Resident Evil 2 Remake – 8.9M (+300K)
- Resident Evil 5 [PC/Xbox360/PS3] – 8M (+100K)
- Resident Evil 6 – 8M (+100K)
- Resident Evil Village – 4.8M (+300K)
- Resident Evil 3 Remake – 4.6M (+200K)
- Resident Evil Remake HD – 3.2M (+100K)
- Resident Evil 0 HD – 3.1M (+100K)
- Resident Evil 4 [PS4/X1] – 2.4M (+100K)
- Resident Evil 5 [PS4/X1] – 2.3M (+100K)
- Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition [PC] – 1.7M (+100K)
As I noted before, this is huge news for the direction of the franchise. Resident Evil VII outsold Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil Village by ~100k copies this quarter. And then Resident Evil 3 Remake is lagging ~200k copies behind the 2017 game. All of the mentioned titles came after RE VII. This situation speaks volumes about the impact of RE VII, as people are more likely to pick it up rather than any of the 3 newest entries into the franchise.
Speaking of Resident Evil, you can read all about its recent crossover with Fortnite right here. And while here, be sure to follow our website to not miss out on any hot gaming news.