Gaming magazine Famitsu has published estimated sales related to gaming for week 45 of 2021 in Japan. It concerns both estimated physical game sales, and sales of gaming hardware. And right outta the gate, we can see some pretty surprising stuff. And other things that are pretty much a given.
It is no secret that Japan LOVES the Switch. So switch games topping the list comes as no surprise. Then the same goes for hardware sales. Switch and PlayStation have an overwhelming home-field advantage over the Xbox consoles. But beyond the obvious lies the surprising.
And what a surprise it is. Call of Duty: Vanguard totaled 41,075 copies sold across PS4 & PS5. It was the best-selling new release of the week with PS4 sales coming in second place. But despite those honorary titles, this is a pitiful score for such an established franchise. Not to mention that those sales are nowhere near what previous entries scored.
The 45 week of gaming sales in Japan was dominated by the switch in the hardware department. Of course, this is not a surprise considering we are talking about the birthplace of that console. But it still is quite a testament to how much of a success Switch truly is. 89 thousand units sold total last week, counting every single variant of the switch. Compared to 11 thousand units of PlayStations 4 & 5.
Full List of Gaming Relates Sales in Japan (Week 45 of 2021)
Here are the top 10 best selling games, followed by hardware sales:
1. [Switch] Mario Party Superstars – Sales Nov 1st – Nov 7th: 81.399 (Lifetime sales: 244.655)
2. [PS4] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 28.321 (New)
3. [Switch] Danganronpa Decadence – 20.938 (New)
4. [Switch] Ring Fit Adventure – 13.101 (2.896.232)
5. [PS5] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 12.754 (New)
6. [Switch] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack – 12.167 (New)
7. [Switch] Super Robot Wars 30 – 12.079 (82.928)
8. [Switch] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10.726 (4.123.374)
9. [Switch] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 10.569 (4.489.510)
10. [Switch] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water – 9.778 (30.364)
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales):
Switch: 45.880 (17.347.401)
Switch Lite: 23.017 (4.139.827)
Switch OLED: 21.620 (284.497)
PlayStation 5: 8.520 (979.660)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition: 1.600 (188.368)
Xbox Series S: 1.570 (48.756)
Xbox Series X: 1.023 (67.366)
PlayStation 4: 709 (7.817.226)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS): 433 (1.176.571)